Cottage Pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. Wonderful cottage pie reminds me of the meals I had in my British school's canteen. You can cook Cottage Pie using 22 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- You need 3 lbs of lean ground beef.
- You need 1 of large finely chopped onion.
- It’s 2 cups of chopped carrots.
- It’s 2 of large stalks celery finely chopped.
- You need 1 bag of frozen peas.
- You need 1 cup of white mushrooms, chopped.
- You need of About 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 3 of oxo cubes (beef stock cubes – can buy on Amazon).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 sprig of fresh thyme (optional).
- You need 1 can of Campbell’s French onion soup.
- Prepare 2 of heaped tablespoons Bisto gravy powder (buy on Amazon).
- You need 1 glass of red wine.
- You need of About a quarter cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare of For topping:.
- You need 2 containers of Costco mashed potatoes.
- You need 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- Prepare 1 of little grated nutmeg.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. I use a bigger onion instead. I forgot to dot extra butter on top but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in.
Cottage Pie instructions
- In about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Brown the beef (add a little salt and pepper)and drain – set aside..
- In about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Sauté chopped onions, celery, carrots, add a little salt and pepper while cooking. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes until softened..
- Return meat to large pan and add a glass of red wine, can of soup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook on medium head stirring occasionally.
- Add sautéed vegetables.
- Sauté mushrooms in about 1 tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes, and add to meat/veg mixture..
- Add frozen peas..
- Add 3 oxo cubes crumbled..
- Put the bisto gravy powder in a mug or cup. Stir in about 1/4 cup cold water. Spoon into meat/veg mixture about a spoonful at a time and stir. This makes a rich gravy..
- Check seasoning and continue cooking on low heat stirring occasionally..
- Make the potatoes as directed. Put cooked potatoes in large bowl. Add butter, cheddar cheese and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside..
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprig (if used) and Spoon meat mixture into shallow casserole or baking pans (this is enough for two dishes).
- Spoon potato mixture on the top making sure sides are sealed with potato mixture. Score top of potatoes with a fork. (Run fork across and down to make a pattern)..
- Bake in center of preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown..
Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with. This is a meat and carb heavy dish, so it goes really well with fresh side salads like a Rocket Salad with Balsamic Dressing, or a Garden Salad with French or Italian Dressing. I recently served it with this Carrot Salad with a Honey Dijon Dressing which was a hit!. For a cosy meal on a cold winter night, try it with a side of Glazed Roasted Carrots and Sautéed.