Curry Potatoes with Peas and Carrots. In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions to the pan and saute until they are tender and a bit golden. When you're there, add the carrots, potatoes, and minced garlic.
Continue simmering and stirring occasionally until potatoes and carrots are very tender and curry sauce is nice and thick. An easy, mild, vegan curry that's packed with veggies. Aloo Gajar Matar is an authentic North Indian Punjabi recipe that contains aloo (potato), gajar (carrot) and matar (green peas). You can cook Curry Potatoes with Peas and Carrots using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Curry Potatoes with Peas and Carrots
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 large of yellow onion – finely chopped.
- You need 3 medium of carrots – peeled, chopped to 1/2in. cubes.
- You need 2 clove of garlic – minced (or 2 tsp jarred minced garlic).
- You need 4 medium of russet potatoes – peeled, chopped to 1in. cubes.
- Prepare 1 cup of frozen peas.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of vegetable stock.
- You need 1 cup of unsweetened culinary coconut milk.
- Prepare of Spice Mix.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of curry powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground coriander.
- It’s 1 tsp of turmeric.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sea salt.
Carrots is the main vegetable included in this recipe. The veggies are stir fried with basic spices. The main effort in this potato, carrot and peas curry is cutting the veggies. Reduce the heat to medium, and stir in the potatoes, carrots and peas.
Curry Potatoes with Peas and Carrots step by step
- In a small bowl mix together all ingredients for your spice mix. Set aside..
- Heat a heavy bottomed 2 quart pot over medium heat. Add oil and let heat until just shimmering, but not smoking. Add onion and carrot. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon..
- Add garlic and spice mix. Sautee until fragrant, about another 2 minutes, stirring frequently so spices and garlic do not burn..
- Add cubed potatoes and stir to coat, still using your wooden spoon. Add 1 cup of the vegetable stock and 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Stir to combine..
- Increase heat to medium high, bring to a boil quickly, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer. Stir occasionally to ensure no sticking, and check liquid levels. When it looks like liquid has reduced by half add the other 1/2 cup vegetable stock and 1/4 cup of the coconut milk..
- Continue simmering and stirring occasionally until potatoes and carrots are very tender and curry sauce is nice and thick. About 15 – 20 minutes. Add frozen peas and last 1/4 cup of coconut milk in last 5 minutes. Stir to incorporate And heat through..
- Enjoy on its own as a vegetarian/vegan main dish or paired with a tasty tikka masala and/or naan bread..
- Note: Culinary coconut milk is thicker and richer than standard, canned coconut milk; its consistency is even a little thicker than cream. The brand I buy comes in a small carton in the health food section of my local grocery store. If you cannot find culinary coconut milk a can of regular unsweetened coconut milk will do, but you may need to use up to 1/2 cup more to achieve the same richness. If this is the case add 1 full cup when you add the first 1 cup of vegetable stock, then follow the steps for the remainder of the additions. Please note, your curry may still not be as thick but it will still taste good. :).
Stir occasionally, and add water if necessary to keep food from sticking to the pan. This recipe is for Potatoes, Carrots and Peas Curry or Aloo Gajar Matar as it's known around here. This curry is made with these everyday vegetables but it really is so delicious with the addition of the spices – even a meat lover will be converted! I like to use Jasmine or brown rice. Stir in the red curry paste and the curry powder and cook for another minute.