Shepard's Pie (Comfort food done light). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise. One of the most iconic comfort food meals you'll ever enjoy is this authentic shepherd's pie recipe. A common casserole that originated in the UK, a shepherd's pie is that all-in-one meal that includes richly seasoned beef, vegetables, and a lovely light mashed potato topping.
Sour cream: buttermilk may be substituted. Shepherd's pie just screams 'comfort food' in my mind. It is a British meat pie with a mashed potato 'crust'. You can cook Shepard's Pie (Comfort food done light) using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepard's Pie (Comfort food done light)
- It’s 5-6 of red potatoes, pealed and chopped.
- Prepare 1 of onion chopped.
- It’s 1-2 of chopped carrots.
- You need 1 3/4 lb of ground turkey.
- You need 2 tbs of unsalted butter.
- It’s 2 tbs of flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of low sodium beef broth.
- You need 2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need 2 tsp of gravy master.
- You need of Paprika.
- Prepare of Parsley.
- You need 2 tbs of sour cream.
- It’s 1/2 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 1 of egg yolk.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of peas.
It has gone through a number of variations over the years in terms of the type of meat used, whether there is a top and bottom crust or not, and the flavors used to enhance the dish. Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie "A twist on the shepherds pie. This is made with sweet potatoes and ground turkey, and a good hint of curry! Let stand, covered, until ready to mash.
Shepard's Pie (Comfort food done light) instructions
- Boil potatoes.
- While potatoes are boiling, sautée onion carrot. Slide to one side of skillet and add turkey. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned and onions are soft..
- Mash boiled potatoes. Add sour cream, chicken or vegetable broth, egg yolk, salt and pepper. Whip with an electric mixer. Set aside..
- In a small pan melt butter and whisk in flour. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, gravy master and continue to whisk. Let gravy come to a slow boil. Consistency should be smooth and coat spoon when done. (I usually make extra gravy and serve on the side as well) Add salt and pepper if necessary. (usually isn't).
- Add gravy to the meat and vegetables. Add 1/2 cup of frozen peas. Mix ingredients and pour into a pie dish coated with cooking spray..
- Top mixture with the mashed potatoes. Allow potatoes to fluff up. Do not press down.. So almost small peaks form. Sprinkle paprika (optional).
- Broil on high on the lower rack in oven until masked potatoes stiffen and peaks brown LIGHTLY..
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving..
- Serve with a bitter green. (Lemon parmesean kale pictured above).
- Makes about 6 servings. (More if you are serving little people.) My kids always ask for seconds though!.
Make mashed potatoes: In a large pot over high heat, cover potatoes with water and add a generous pinch of salt. Making the most of supermarket convenience items gets this family favorite on the table in a flash. Precut matchstick carrots are easier to chop into small pieces quickly, and using prepared mashed potatoes for the topping is a good trick for when you don't have leftover mashed potatoes on hand. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. A simple supper that's got all the elements of the ultimate comfort food.