Cheaters Chicken Pie. It's one of the ultimate comfort foods. But it takes a whole lot of time and effort to make the real deal! I've developed a "cheater's" way to make this yummy dish and it's even better than the original… not bragging, just the truth!
I invented this using things I had in the house on a night I just didn't feel like going to the super market. Its also a good way to use up leftovers from a. Add cream, veggies, and chicken, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. You can have Cheaters Chicken Pie using 13 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Cheaters Chicken Pie
- It’s 1 1/2 lb of chicken breast, boneless/skinless *see note.
- You need 1 small of yellow onion, cut in 1/4ths.
- You need 1 of 9" deep dish pie shell, uncooked.
- Prepare 1 of prepared pie dough.
- It’s 5 of carrots, peeled and cut in 1" pieces.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Sautéed quartered mushrooms.
- You need 15 oz of can of sliced new potatoes.
- It’s 1 cup of frozen peas.
- You need 15 1/2 oz of can herb roasted garlic chicken soup (condensed).
- You need 15 1/2 oz of can cream of celery soup (condensed).
- Prepare 1 of egg.
- Prepare 2 of garlic cloves, crushed.
- Prepare 1 of salt and pepper to taste.
Cut biscuits into fourths and arrange over the top of casserole. In a large oven-safe skillet, melt half of the butter over medium-high heat. Arrange the biscuit dough on top of the chicken filling. While the pot pie is baking, melt the remaining buter in a small skillet.
Cheaters Chicken Pie step by step
- in a 4 quart crackpot, place chicken breasts, carrots, onion, seasonings (salt, pepper and anything else you like) and crushed garlic cloves. fill with enough water to cover chicken. cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on low for 4 hours. Once done remove chicken and carrots and set aside. strain stock and reserve..
- Quarter and sauté the mushrooms in butter or olive oil over medium heat until lightly browned, approx 7 minutes. mix soups and fill one can with reserved stock and combine until smooth. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut in to bite sized pieces or shred. add chicken, carrots, peas, sautéed mushrooms, drained potatoes and seasonings to soup mixture and stir to thoroughly combine. place chicken mixture in unbaked pie shell then cover with uncooked pastry sheet. make sure to crimp the edges together well so there are no leaks. in a small bowl beat egg and brush over the entire top of pastry. cut three or four small slits into the top to release the steam. bake in a preheated 400° oven for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown. watch the edges of the crust so they don't burn. once baked, let stand at least 5 minutes before cutting..
- *you can also roast the chicken in a 400°oven and just boil the carrots if you'd rather not use the crackpot method..
Once the pot pie is baked, brush the top of the biscuits with the melted butter. Chicken Pot Pie remains one of my all-time favorite comfort foods. And while I love a classic homemade Chicken Pot Pie, this 'cheater' version is absolutely delicious but uses simple supermarket shortcuts to make it quick and easy to prepare in a single dish. Chicken pot pie is one of those simple, wholesome foods that I remember from my childhood. Like may of my generation, I thought all pot pies came in boxes that were plucked ripe off the vine in the valley of the jovial chartreuse midget. (Or something like that.) They were heated, served and devoured, usually two or three to a person and with gusto on cold, damp San Francisco Bay Area weekends.