Sweet Potato & Mung Bean Bran Cakes. Sweet potatoes during the holidays are a must in our household. This time I decided to do something different other than a casserole or a pie. I used white sweet potatoes, but any sweet potatoes will do.
The sweet potato or sweetpotato (Ipomoea batatas) is a dicotyledonous plant that belongs to the bindweed or morning glory family, Convolvulaceae. Its large, starchy, sweet-tasting, tuberous roots are a root vegetable. The young leaves and shoots are sometimes eaten as greens. You can have Sweet Potato & Mung Bean Bran Cakes using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato & Mung Bean Bran Cakes
- Prepare 2 Cups of peeled and chopped sweet potato,.
- You need 1 Cup of chopped carrots.
- You need 6 Tablespoons of Green Mung Beans, soaked in boiling water for an hour and washed.
- Prepare 1 Cup of red, yellow and green bell peppers finely chopped.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, finely chopped.
- It’s 60 ml of Olive oil.
- Prepare 3 Teaspoons of Vegetable Stock Granules.
The sweet potato is not closely related to the common potato (Solanum tuberosum).. Sweet potatoes are available year-round, but their flavor peaks in the fall and winter. Alton recommends choosing specimens that are heavy for their size and free of any soft spots or sprouts. Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Sweet Potato & Mung Bean Bran Cakes step by step
- Sauté Sweet Potato, mung beans and carrots in olive oil on low heat until the vegetables are just about soft. Put the lid on after 10 minutes. Stir occasionally..
- After 30 minutes, add the vegetable stock granules, robot peppers and ginger. Stir and put the lid back on for 15 minutes..
- Add 4 tablespoons of water and put the lid on for 10 minutes. Then add 6 tablespoons of water and put the lid back on for 10 minutes..
- Switch the stove off and leave on the stove for about 5 minutes. Transfer into a bowl. The mixture should be moist.
- Add 3 tablespoons of cassava flour and 2 tablespoons of wheat bran. Your mixture should be sticky..
- Mix with a wooden spoon and then take spoon fulls with the wooden spoon and place in the palm of your hands and shape your cakes. Cook the cakes until golden brown on either sides and remove from the pan. Repeat until your mixture is finished..
- Serve with vegetables or a stew. Here I served with a poached on wilted spinach, sautéed mushrooms and an avocado and carrot purée (1 avocado and 1 cup carrot placed in a blender with 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil)..
Baked sweet potatoes are the perfect, healthy side dish in the fall months. I like to simply eat it with some butter on top, a little goes a long way or try it with coconut oil to keep it dairy free. To save calories, omit all together and try sprinkling on cinnamon, cumin, chili powder or even pumpkin spice.. Sweet potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving side dish when covered in sweet candied pecans, but they can also stand up to spice from chiles and bold-flavored herbs, not to mention act as an. Packed with nutrients, sweet potatoes are a healthy and colorful addition to any meal.