Cottage Pie. Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie.
The dish is now popular worldwide. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. Classic, epic Cottage Pie made properly, with a luscious filling. You can have Cottage Pie using 22 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- It’s 3 lbs of lean ground beef.
- Prepare 1 of large finely chopped onion.
- It’s 2 cups of chopped carrots.
- It’s 2 of large stalks celery finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 bag of frozen peas.
- It’s 1 cup of white mushrooms, chopped.
- It’s of About 6 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 3 of oxo cubes (beef stock cubes – can buy on Amazon).
- You need 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 sprig of fresh thyme (optional).
- It’s 1 can of Campbell’s French onion soup.
- It’s 2 of heaped tablespoons Bisto gravy powder (buy on Amazon).
- You need 1 glass of red wine.
- It’s of About a quarter cup of ketchup.
- You need 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- You need to taste of Salt and pepper.
- You need of For topping:.
- You need 2 containers of Costco mashed potatoes.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Prepare 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese.
- You need 1 of little grated nutmeg.
Cottage Pie – comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy. This DELICIOUS Cottage Pie is made with a mixture of ground beef, ground sausage, and mixed vegetables in a delicious gravy and baked under a layer of fluffy mashed potatoes. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie.
Cottage Pie instructions
- In about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Brown the beef (add a little salt and pepper)and drain – set aside..
- In about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Sauté chopped onions, celery, carrots, add a little salt and pepper while cooking. Cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes until softened..
- Return meat to large pan and add a glass of red wine, can of soup, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook on medium head stirring occasionally.
- Add sautéed vegetables.
- Sauté mushrooms in about 1 tablespoon of oil for about 5 minutes, and add to meat/veg mixture..
- Add frozen peas..
- Add 3 oxo cubes crumbled..
- Put the bisto gravy powder in a mug or cup. Stir in about 1/4 cup cold water. Spoon into meat/veg mixture about a spoonful at a time and stir. This makes a rich gravy..
- Check seasoning and continue cooking on low heat stirring occasionally..
- Make the potatoes as directed. Put cooked potatoes in large bowl. Add butter, cheddar cheese and nutmeg. Mix well and set aside..
- Remove bay leaves and thyme sprig (if used) and Spoon meat mixture into shallow casserole or baking pans (this is enough for two dishes).
- Spoon potato mixture on the top making sure sides are sealed with potato mixture. Score top of potatoes with a fork. (Run fork across and down to make a pattern)..
- Bake in center of preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until top is golden brown..
It is a dish that originated around the time that As cottage pie became popular throughout Britain and potatoes became a staple crop in Ireland, the. In this cooking video The Wolfe Pit uses Gordon Ramsay's recipe to show you how to make Cottage Pie. Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. The difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat. Cottage Pie uses ground beef Making the best Shepherd's Pie is not difficult.