Basic Asian Curry Puff (Karipap). A curry puff is a snack of Malayan origin. It is a small pie consisting of curry with chicken and potatoes in a deep-fried or baked pastry shell. The curry is quite thick to prevent it from oozing out of the snack.
Also known as karipap, the crispy pastry is stuffed with a variety of savoury fillings such as Curry puff may look like another puff pastry or savoury pie but it is the unofficial king of kuih for many in Malaysia, Singapore and around the region. Curry Puff or called karipap by the Malays, is a type of deep fried stuffed pastry with a wide varieties of fillings. It is a very popular snack in Malaysia. You can have Basic Asian Curry Puff (Karipap) using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Basic Asian Curry Puff (Karipap)
- Prepare of Puff Dough.
- It’s 1 of Egg – Grade B.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Wam water.
- It’s 3 1/2 cup of Flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Salted butter / margerine.
- Prepare of Filling.
- You need 6 cup of Potatoes – Boiled to cook & diced small to size of corn seed.
- You need 1 cup of Diced + minced chicken.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Cooking oil.
- It’s 1 tsp of Garlic – Grated (You can use smoked garlic for better test).
- You need 3 cup of Diced indian Big Onion – OPTIONAL (Remove from the list if you are planning to keep them longer).
- Prepare 6 tbsp of Meat curry powder – Mix with 6 TBSP warm water (Add without water if you like them test more dry and curry colour looks heavy).
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Cinnamon powder.
- It’s 3 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of Chicken stock powder.
- Prepare of Optional extra filling.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Cheese – Grated.
- You need 5 of Eggs – Scramble with some butter & 1 TSP sugar.
It is believed that curry puffs were created by the Malay people from the Malays Peninsula and they closely resemble the Portuguese Empanada. Call it curry puffs, Karipap or 咖哩角, it all means the most delicious snack in Malaysia. The significant difference between the Asian pastry and the western puff pastry lies on the oil phase of the pastry. Pure oil (butter or margarine) is used to fold in between layers of the western style puff pastry.
Basic Asian Curry Puff (Karipap) step by step
- Dough: In a big bowl, mix well the butter with salt and egg and flour then only add in the water and knead into a dough. Let it rest aside.
- Boil diced potatoes around 10-15 minutes and strain them out before cooking them with the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Filling: Heat up a big pan and pour in cooking oil. Add in grated garlic then diced onion and saute for a while then add in cinnamon powder & cont wih the sautee until caramelised bit. Add in curry powder and stir until they look all together and you can see some oil out. Add in minced chicken and stir for few minutes. add the rest one by one and cook in slow heat until diced potatoes has been cooked fine, thick and no any liquid are seen. Let the filling cool down.
- Preheat a deep fryer. Take about 30gm – 50gm of the dough, rolls into about 3mm thin or you can use pasta roller mechine. Once you got the thickness u wanted (Thin is better), cut with a round cutter or you can use a puff moulder, take a spoon of the main filling and spread them on the half spot of the round dough, add some scramble egg with some grated cheese. fold the round dough once to make a half moon shape like to cover the filling as a skin and keeping them inside intact, keep round end stick together. Twirl the half round end side like making a pie and deep fry them until they've become light golden brown.
- Depend on the makes of the curry itself, you can add a TBSP extra or less to marry with all of the filling.
- If you are using wooden roller to roll the dough by hand, best to roll them thin earlier before the dough completely cool down.
- If you are using pasta roller machine to roll the dough thin, best to keep them chill first in the refrigerator for at least an hour earlier. Roll them thin to size 7.
Spiral curry puffs is a popular Asian snack. It is a deep-fried crescent shaped pastry filled with spicy & savoury potato filling. Spiral curry puff atau yang lebih dikenal sebagai karipap pusing atau epok-epok pusing adalah sejenis makanan yang populer di Malaysia dan. Curry puff is a popular tea-time snack in Southeast Asia. Although there are several types of puff with different filling, potato chicken curry is by far the most common.