Salted cod stew (spicy). If you can't find recao paste at your local grocery store, and you can't find the actual herb to make the paste yourself, it's best just to make a basic s how to make cod stew: Cut the cod steaks into pieces. In a saucepan, put the onion cut into round slices, the peeled potatoes cut in halves, the cod, the peeled tomatoes cut into small pieces, the peppers cut into strips, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, white wine and olive oil. Baccala Stew Salted Cod Stew Salted cod is something that folks either love or strongly dislike.
Taste sauce and correct seasoning with salt and black pepper, if necessary. Don't worry if the fish breaks up a bit. Ladle stew into deep soup bowls along with more sauce. You can have Salted cod stew (spicy) using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Salted cod stew (spicy)
- Prepare 1 kg of salted cod cut into portions and desalted.
- You need 1 kg of potatoes, coarsely chopped.
- It’s 2 of large onions cut into rings.
- Prepare 2-3 of carrots, cut (optional).
- You need 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of lemon juice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of tomato paste dissolved in a little bit of water or 1/2 cup grated tomato.
- Prepare of salt.
- You need of pepper.
- Prepare of hot red pepper (chili).
- It’s 1 of little parsely, finely cut, for serving (optional).
Top with capers (a few in each bowl) if you desire. Salt cod, or bacalao in Spanish is one of the world's most fascinating foods. So interesting, in fact, that Mark Kurlansky wrote a fantastic book about it that won the prestigious James Beard Award. On my food tours people often ask why we still eat salt cod.
Salted cod stew (spicy) step by step
- Pour the oil in the pot and lightly sauté the onions..
- Add the potatoes and the carotts so that they are lightly sautéed too..
- Continue with adding the tomato paste or the grated tomato, the salt, the two kinds of pepper and simmer with the lid on until the potatoes are tender and the sauce thickens (about 20 minutes)..
- Finally, add the cod (which you have desalted at least 12 hours previously and have removed the skin) and the lemon juice (about 10 minutes)..
- Serve and if you like, sprinkle with finely chopped parsley..
Wouldn't it be easier to simply buy the fresh stuff? Follow the instructions on the package. Soaking rehydrates the fish and washes away the salinity. Also remember to cook the potatoes until tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.