Nimona (Green Peas Curry). Home » Lunch and Dinner » Tasty Curry Sabzi Recipes » Matar ka Nimona – Green Peas Curry. Matar ka Nimona – Green Peas Curry. Green peas curry recipe: Know more about this tasty and healthy recipe of 'matar ka nimona'.
It is a typical recipe wherein green pease are grounded into a paste and various spices are added to make a curry. It is usually served with plain rice and is eaten as a substitute for dal and vegetables together. The cuisine of any region is incomplete unless it includes a homemakers contribution. You can have Nimona (Green Peas Curry) using 19 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Nimona (Green Peas Curry)
- Prepare 1 cup of green peas (I used frozen peas), ground coarsely.
- You need 1/4 cup of green peas, whole.
- Prepare 1 of potato, cut lengthwise.
- You need 3 tbsp. of mustard oil.
- You need 1 of dry red chilli.
- You need 1-2 of bay leaves.
- You need 1 tsp. of cumin seeds.
- You need 1/4 tsp. of asafoetida.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of ginger, grated.
- It’s 1-2 of green chilies, chopped.
- It’s handful of coriander leaves, chopped.
- You need to taste of salt.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of turmeric powder.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of red chilli powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of garam masala powder.
- It’s 1 tsp. of roasted coriander powder.
- It’s 1-2 of tomatoes, cut lengthwise.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of ghee (opt).
Nimona is one such example from Lucknow, the capital of Avadh. A strictly home-fare dish, this delectable preparation is made with green peas purée with tomato pulp to make a dal like curry. Matar Ka Nimona is one of the most popular winter dish from North India, especially UP. This fresh peas curry resembles dal, hence referred to as Hare Matar ki Dal in some parts of the region.
Nimona (Green Peas Curry) step by step
- Heat 1 tbsp. mustard oil & fry the potatoes till light brown in colour. Drain and keep aside..
- Add 1 tbsp. oil in the same pan & saute the ground green peas till the moisture evaporates. Keep aside..
- Heat remaining oil & temper with red chilli, bay leaves, cumin seeds and asafoetida. Saute for a few seconds..
- Add the ginger, green chilies & coriander leaves. Stir fry for a few seconds..
- Now add all the dry spices and give it a toss..
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining whole green peas. Mix well & cook, covered till they turn soft..
- Add the sauteed green peas, fried potatoes & water. Give it a stir & simmer, covered for 4-5 minutes or till the gravy turns slightly thick..
- When done, add the ghee (opt) and switch off the flame..
- Serve with plain steamed rice. jeera rice, paratha, poori, etc. for a nice healthy U.P. style meal..
The preparation of this traditional UP style matar ka nimona recipe is not at all restricted to winters only. This can be made any season using frozen green peas as well. Matar nimona, popular North Indian recipe prepared with green peas is different in taste then any other sabzi. It makes a good combination with rice. हिन्दी में पढिये : Matar ka Nimona – Grean Peas Nimona – Potatoes and Green Pea Curry. It is a winter specialty as fresh peas (matar) are available in plenty.