Vegetable Tian. Now Choose From Multiple Easy Vegetable Recipes To Create That Perfect Meal. Get Vegetable Tian Recipe from Food Network. Add the garlic… The term tian simply refers to a dish of thinly sliced vegetables that have been cooked in olive oil and baked au gratin.
Arrange remaining vegetables over onion mixture, alternatingcarrots, zucchini, and potato, and overlapping each. A melody of plum tomatoes, zucchini, yellow Squash, Japanese eggplant, and red onion, this veggie tian is sure to be a hit at your dinner table. Summer is the perfect season for eating more vegetables. You can cook Vegetable Tian using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegetable Tian
- It’s 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 each of medium yellow onion.
- You need 1 tsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 each of medium zucchini.
- Prepare 1 each of medium yellow squash.
- You need 1 each of medium potato (optional).
- You need 1 each of medium tomato.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried thyme (I opted for Italian seasoning).
- It’s 1 of plenty of salt and pepper (to taste).
- You need 1 cup of shredded italian cheese (I used colby jack and mozzerella).
After all, it's hard to say no to the bounty bursting from your garden! Put those tasty tomatoes, potatoes and fresh squash to work in a summer vegetable tian. This effortless dish is big on flavor. A tian is a type of gratin, typically vegetables baked in an earthenware dish. (The word "tian" also refers to the earthenware dish itself.) Vegetable tian has been one of our longtime favorites.
Vegetable Tian instructions
- Preheat oven to 400°F (180 degrees C). Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sauteed both in the olive oil on medium heat for about 5 minutes (or until softened)..
- While the onions and garlic are working, thinly slice the rest of the vegetables..
- Spray the inside of an 8×8 square or round baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the onion and garlic on bottom of dish and place the thinly sliced vegetables vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper and thyme..
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. (This is where the potato effects the dish. If you use the potato, I'd increase baking time to 45 mins. If you don't add potato, keep it at 30 minutes.) Remove foil and add shredded cheese. Return to oven for another 15 – 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown. (I have had no luck with this so thinking about broiling for a minute or so next time.).
- Serve and enjoy!.
Hearty and healthy, easy to make, and so darn pretty to look at, it's a delicious side dish year-round. I especially love to cook it up in the middle of winter, scoot it alongside a roast chicken, and gulp it all down with a glass of white wine. The tian is both a vessel and the name of what's cooked in it: summer vegetables, sliced quite thin, arranged in careful layers, drenched in quality olive oil and then cooked in a slow oven until each individual vegetable surrenders to the others, becoming one The true and complete melding of earthy zucchini, sweet onion, waxy potato, juicy and acidic tomatoes is the great achievement of a. Originating in Provence, a tian is a French word that describes a shallow earthenware casserole as well as the food it contains. Traditionally it features a variety of vegetables, herbs and cheeses that are layered and then baked.