Not so average sheppard pie. The not so shepherds pie is very labor intensive! Hope the rest of your recipes are a lot less time consuming and not using so many different pans. Been working on this one for an hour and just now cooking burger!!!
A really good Shepherd's Pie should always start with a soffrito – that is, onion, garlic, carrots and celery sautéed on a lowish heat until sweet. It's the secret to a great flavour base that's a technique used widely by many cuisines, such as Italian cooking (for example, this Italian Shredded Beef Ragu). After this, we cook the ground / mince meat. You can have Not so average sheppard pie using 14 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Not so average sheppard pie
- It’s 2 cups of mash potatoes.
- It’s 1 of zucchini diced.
- It’s 1 of yellow squash diced.
- It’s 1 cup of beef broth.
- Prepare 3 Tbs of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of all purpose flour.
- You need 1 lb. of bulk pork sausage.
- You need 1 cup of whole kernel corn.
- It’s 1 cup of diced baby carrots.
- It’s of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need of garlic powder.
- You need of onion powder.
- It’s of Fresh ground black pepper.
- It’s of salt.
You'll love the convenience of this easy, comforting shepherd's pie from Martha Stewart. Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise.
Not so average sheppard pie instructions
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In skillet brown sausage.. (if not greasy add a bit of olive oil to pan). Once browned add about 2 table spoons of flour and stir to coat well..
- Add broth and worcestershire sauce to sausage add about 2 to 3 more table spoons of flour mix well. (It should be a light gravy color). Add garlic,onion,salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer to allow the gravy to reduce and thicken.
- In a separate skillet add zucchini, squash, and corn and carrots Drizzle with olive oil, (I add additional seasoning here of garlic,onion,and pepper, but not necessary) and Sautee to your desired doneness…
- Stir in the vegetables into your meat and gravy mix. Once gravy is thick transfer everything into a baking dish..
- Spoon mashed potatoes over the meat and veggies and spread evenly..
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes untill potatoes start to turn golden and crisp…
Shepherd's Pie is a popular dish. It's more like a casserole which has a meat and veggie filling topped with a potato "crust". Many consider this a comfort food and a family favorite. The ingredients are simple and it's so easy to make. Once you have tried it you can appreciate how versatile it is.