Cottage Pie. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Overall, this recipe is pretty close to the orignial. Not sure why you would want to add cinnamon to a traditional cottage pie.
Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. Wonderful cottage pie reminds me of the meals I had in my British school's canteen. You can cook Cottage Pie using 9 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- Prepare 1/2 packages of sliced mushrooms.
- It’s 1 medium of zucchini.
- You need 1 can of cream of mushroom soup.
- It’s 1/2 medium of Onion.
- It’s 2 clove of Garlic.
- You need 1/2 cup of Cheddar Cheese.
- Prepare 1 of Olive oil.
- Prepare 1 box of Instant mashed potatoes.
- Prepare 1 lb of Lean ground Beef.
I followed the recipe for everything except the green peas coz I do not have them on hand. I use a bigger onion instead. I forgot to dot extra butter on top but it still came out crisp with adequately brown. There are many variations of the recipe, but the defining ingredients include minced or ground beef with onions (and sometimes other vegetables) in.
Cottage Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Chop garlic, onion, and zucchini..
- Heat olive oil in pan, when hot add garlic. Sautee for 3 min..
- Add chopped onion to garlic. Sautee until onion is caramelized. Add extra olive oil if needed..
- Add slicedushrooms to sauteed onion and garlic. I love mushrooms so I add the entire package otherwise add 1/2 package. Add olive oil as needed – Sautee untill mushrooms are caramelized..
- Put sauteed vege's aside into baking dish. Using the same pan, cook ground beef until pink is gone. Drain out juices..
- When ground beef is done, add to baking dish..
- If you want to add other veggies (ie. green beans, etc) add to baking dish now..
- Pour contents of mushroom soup over contents of baking dish. Stir well..
- I like cheese so I put 1/2 cup of cheese over mixture. You can omit..
- Cook mashed potatoes according to package directions. If there are 2 packages of instant mashed potatoes in box, I use both. Can never have too much potatoes. Add to the top of mixture..
- Bake uncovered for 30 mins in the oven or until potatoes are brown. You can add cheese to the top about 15 mins until done..
- ** You can add chopped bacon and/or chives and sprinkle over potatoes before serving. Best to serve with bread..
- ** Add salt and black pepper according to taste..
- Serve with bread and green salad. Or not..
Cottage pie is a meat pie that is topped with mashed potatoes and baked in the oven. Now, cottage pie and shepherd's pie differ only in the type of ground meat they are made with. This is a meat and carb heavy dish, so it goes really well with fresh side salads like a Rocket Salad with Balsamic Dressing, or a Garden Salad with French or Italian Dressing. I recently served it with this Carrot Salad with a Honey Dijon Dressing which was a hit!. For a cosy meal on a cold winter night, try it with a side of Glazed Roasted Carrots and Sautéed.