Cottage Pie ( also known as Shepard's Pie). Cottage Pie on the other hand is said to be from England (but also enjoyed in loads of other countries). It's actually been said that Cottage Pie was historically used to name any pie containing meat and mashed potatoes. Shepherd's pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin.
Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. Potatoes were affordable ingredients that were often used by the peasants, who lived in cottages. So, "cottage pie" was an easy to make, affordable dish. You can have Cottage Pie ( also known as Shepard's Pie) using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie ( also known as Shepard's Pie)
- Prepare 1 lb of ground beef..
- It’s 1/2 cup of frozen peas.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped carrots.
- It’s 1 of onion (med) chopped.
- It’s 1 of glove of garlic chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 4 medium of potatoes peeled and chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of green onions chopped.
- You need 1 tbsp of cream cheese (can add another tbsp).
- You need 1 tbsp of milk (can add another tbsp).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
Shepards pie (also known as Shepherd's pie or Cottage Pie) is a meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato. In early cookery books, the dish was a means of using leftover roasted meat of any kind, and the pie dish was lined on the sides and bottom with mashed potato, as well as having a mashed potato crust on top. This book was Left-Over Meat Dishes by Elizabeth Craig, who was also a Scot. There, the 'shepherds' pie term is listed in the index as a cross reference to cottage pie.
Cottage Pie ( also known as Shepard's Pie) instructions
- Boil potatoes in salted water until tender. Approximately 15 min..
- Meanwhile sautee chopped onion, carrots and garlic with the olive oil in a frying pan for 5 min. You can add other veg such as mushrooms and celery..
- Add your ground beef and saute for 10 min until no longer pink. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and the worchester sauce and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the frozen peas and cook for 2-3 min..
- Add the butter and mash the potatoes. Add milk, chopped green onion and cream cheese. Use a spoon to mix together. Season with salt & pepper to taste..
- Add meat to a baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes. You can add if you like grated cheese on top of the potatoes..
- Cook @ 400°F in preheated oven for 30 min or until crisp on top..
The term "cottage pie" predates "shepherd's" by nearly a century, but each was used synonymously with the other for a long time. The Chilean version of "pastel de papa", a dish similar to shepherd's pie eaten in many parts of the world, also contains hard-boiled eggs, raisins and black olives. Shepherd's Pie Shepherd's Pie Ingredients Base. Ground meat – Shepherd's Pie traditionally uses with lamb or mutton, however in the United States we typically use ground beef. Technically a Shepards Pie made with beef is called a Cottage Pie, but in the US we refer to both as Shepherd's Pie.