Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie recipes are traditionally done with lamb, but are great with any ground meat–turkey and beef being the most popular modern versions. Give this great casserole a try, and watch everyone flock to the table. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
Unlike other shepherd's pie recipes, this one calls for frozen vegetables instead of fresh and can be made the day before. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served "shepherd's pie" here, it is most often made with ground beef. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 23 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 450 Grams of lamb minced.
- You need 4 Cloves of garlic , chopped.
- Prepare 1 of white onion , chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 Cup of peas frozen , thawed.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of carrot , grated.
- It’s 1/8 Cup of celery , finely chopped.
- It’s 1/4 Cup of ketchup.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of tomato paste.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 Teaspoon of oregano dried.
- Prepare 1/2 Teaspoon of thyme dried.
- Prepare 1/4 Teaspoon of basil dried.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of parsley , chopped.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
- Prepare of butter olive oil &.
- It’s 3 of potatoes , large – sized , boiled.
- You need 1/2 Cup of cream.
- It’s 4 Tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of onion powder.
- It’s 1/2 Cup of cheddar cheese , grated.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. These shepherd's pie recipes run the range from the traditional (featuring ground or minced lamb) to the modestly modified (ground beef instead of lamb) to the more modern and experimental (vegan or paleo shepherd's pies). You can't go wrong with any of these savory one-pot comfort-food casseroles, complete meals that also feature veggies, a savory gravy, and a mashed potato (or a surprise.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Heat some butter and olive oil in a large skillet..
- Add the garlic and onion and sautee well..
- Add the minced lamb and break it up with your spoon. when the lamb is browned evenly add the peas, carrots and celery. mix well till the veggies are almost cooked through..
- Next, add the ketchup, tomato paste and worcestershire sauce. mix well. then add the dried herbs and stir to combine..
- Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. then add the fresh parsley, mix a bit and take it off the heat..
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. lightly grease a baking dish (i used pyrex) with butter. place the meat mixture in the dish and pat it down well, so it has an even, flat top. set aside..
- Peel and mash the potatoes with the cream and butter. add the salt, pepper and onion powder..
- Spread the mash over the meat in an even layer..
- Using a fork, make ridges all over the top of the potato crust (i TRIED to make a criss-cross pattern but i don't think i had much seccess with it!)..
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for about 25 minutes, till the cheese is melted and golden..
- Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving..
Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. Best Shepherd's Pie This is the best shepherds pie recipe I've ever had, and it comes from a friend who was a whiz at pinching pennies without sacrificing hearty flavor.—Valerie Merrill, Topeka, Kansas This easy shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef and veggies in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie.