Bengali Bhoger Khichuri. A quintessential Bengali Khichdi, known as Bengali Niramish Khichuri or Bhoger Khichuri is the main course prepared by cooking Rice and Moong Daal (yellow lentil) together with spices is considered comfort food. Now add the soaked roasted dal + rice (keep the water and just add the grains). Moong Daler Khichuri is a delicious one pot Bengali style meal cooked with rice,moong dal (yellow lentil) and vegetables.
This pure veg Bhog er khichuri has strictly no onion no garlic at all. The bhaja muger dal khichuri is a Bengali-style moong dal khichdi that uses a lot of special spices and vegetables. Traditionally, this khichuri is prepared with Gobindobhog rice. You can cook Bengali Bhoger Khichuri using 19 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Bengali Bhoger Khichuri
- Prepare 200 grams of moong daal(split green gram).
- Prepare 350 grams of rice(preferably shortgrain aromat).
- It’s 1 of large peeled and diced potato.
- You need 4-5 of cauliflower florets.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of ginger paste.
- You need 2 of slit green chillies.
- It’s 1 of dried red chillies.
- It’s 1 of Bay leaf.
- It’s 2 of green cardamoms.
- Prepare 2 of cloves.
- You need 1 inch of cinnamon stick.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Prepare 3 cups of hot water.
- You need 2 tablespoon of mustard oil.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of each:turmeric,red chilli, garam masala powders.
- It’s 2 tablespoon of grated coconut.
- You need 1 of dollop of ghee.
- It’s Handful of green peas.
Since it is not very commonly found outside of West. Bhoger khichuri recipe for durga puja, saraswati puja or lakshmi puja with step by step pictures. How to make Bhoger Khichuri and Labra Recipe. Now wash the dal carefully under cold water.
Bengali Bhoger Khichuri step by step
- Add and sauté moong daal in a wok over Low heat till golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat oil and temper with sauté the cauliflower and potato till slight brown. Keep aside.
- Now temper with both chillies and all the whole spices.
- As the cumin seeds splutter, add coconut and ginger paste. Sauté on low heat.
- Add all the dry spices (except garam masala powder) and continue to sauté till the mix is dry and the coconut browns.
- Next add the sautéed moong daal, rice and hot water.
- Mix well and turn the heat high now.
- Add the sautéed cauliflower and potato, green peas and salt to taste.
- Cook covered by reducing heat once the water boils.
- Once done (ie rice and daal cooked to perfection) finish with garam masala powder,ghee and sugar.
- Mix and take off heat after a while.
- Serve while warm preferably with fries, pujor laabda (mixed vegetable curry) and sweet Bengali tomato chutney.
- Watch full recipe video at: https://youtu.be/-eriOqF4Vn8.
- For laabda (mix veg curry) video click: https://youtu.be/nqMvGh-KQ94.
- For Bengali sweet tomato chutney click: https://youtu.be/rsLNiBfld3I.
Bengali khichdi recipe with step by step photos. Bhaja muger dal khichuri is a delicious one-pot meal of rice, moong dal and vegetables. This Bengali khichuri recipe is always made during durga puja festival. It is served as bhog to ma durga along with some other Bengali delicacies. A satvik, vegan and no onion no garlic recipe.