Sublime Beef Stew with Red Wine. So good, I must gush that it's everything you want in a classic red wine beef stew You must make this stew! Wow, thank you so much Robert! I'm so glad you love it!
A beef stew for special occasions! When you are simmering the stew or dissolving the roux, do not stir the stew around with a spatula. Absolutely the best beef stew I've ever tasted. You can cook Sublime Beef Stew with Red Wine using 11 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Sublime Beef Stew with Red Wine
- It’s 500 of to 600 grams Beef shank.
- Prepare 2 1/2 large of Onions.
- You need 1 of the same amount as the amount of water indicated on the roux box Red wine.
- It’s 3 of to 4 leaves Bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 of pack Raw mushrooms (or canned).
- You need 1 box of Commercial beef stew roux of your choice.
- It’s of Side vegetables (you can simmer them in the stew of course).
- Prepare 1 large of Carrot.
- It’s 2 of Potatoes.
- You need 1 of Broccoli.
- It’s 1 dash of Fresh cream (optional).
The acid in wine is a natural pair for seafood dishes, which matches the bright notes and actually reduces fishy odors, so low to medium acidic red wines are more suited for a hearty beef stew. Dry wine is the way to go for a beef stew. Beef Stew with Red Wine Beef Stew with Red Wine is Fast & Simple. Don't be scared by the list of ingredients, it's honestly mainly just herbs that you should have in your pantry already!
Sublime Beef Stew with Red Wine instructions
- Leave the beef shanks in large pieces, and brown them in a little oil. Transfer the beef to a pan, and add the red wine..
- Add a little oil to the frying pan where you browned the beef, and sauté the sliced onions (They don't need to be caramelized)..
- Add the sautéed onion and the bay leaves to the pan with the beef with wine. Start cooking over high heat, and skim off the scum diligently..
- This is the red wine I used this time. It's a box wine that contains 3 liters..
- When no more scum is rising to the surface, add the mushrooms and turn the heat down to low. Simmer until the beef is tender (2.5 to 3 hours)..
- If the liquid in the pan reduces too much, add water. You can add wine of course! Be sure to keep the heat low!.
- Cut the vegetables to serve with the stew. (If you're simmering the vegetables in the stew, don't add them at the start or they'll dissolve. Add them 30 minutes before)..
- I haven't added the roux yet, but the stew already looks like this just from the red wine..
- The meat sinks to the bottom of the pan, so lift it up carefully and check its doneness with a bamboo skewer! If it's OK, dissolve the roux. (Whatever you do, don't stir the stew up from the bottom! ).
- When the roux has dissolved, simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Microwave the vegetables (if you didn't simmer them in the stew) and serve on the side. Drizzle on a little fresh cream to finish..
- Wine tip 1: You can use any kind of wine you like. If you're not using box wine, use 1 whole bottle (750 ml) plus water as needed..
- Wine tip 2: The flavor changes depending on the wine you use. That lets you enjoy different versions of the stew and is delicious..
- Wine tip 3: This depends on what you prefer, but I recommend using a light or medium-bodied wine..
- If using a pressure cooker: Add the red wine, bring to a boil, and skim off the scum before closing the lid and pressure-cooking the stew (20 minutes)..
- If using a pressure cooker (continued): This stew may exceed the maximum liquid level in some pressure cooker pans..
- If using a pressure cooker (cont.): If that's the case, add the rest of the wine after the pressure cooking phase, and simmer the stew for a while longer..
It is a long list, but it's easy and it's worth it. I'm not sure if red wine beef stew is something that all kids will enjoy (mine did) as it does. Red Wine Beef Stew is filled with vegetables and a savory broth! Beef Stew is one of the world's best comfort foods! This delicious, easy beef stew recipe will become a favorite with just one serving!